Paediatric Physiotherapists are experts in their understanding and knowledge of normal development. Every child develops at their own pace however there are definitely average time lines in which a particular skill should emerge and be mastered. If your child is not progressing as expected or having difficulty mastering a gross motor skill, our Physiotherapists can help.
Our Physiotherapists are confident in assessing and treating children with:
- Risk of motor delay related to prematurity
- Delayed achievement of head righting, rolling, sitting, crawling, standing, walking and running
- Difficulty with higher level balance skills – jumping, hopping, skipping
- Difficulty with ball skills – throwing, catching, kicking
Physiotherapy Treatment for Gross Motor/Developmental Milestones at Butterfly:
Butterfly Physiotherapists will perform a comprehensive assessment and screening of your child’s current gross motor skills and developmental milestones. This may involve observing your child’s body alignment, assessing posture, range of motion, strength, reflexes, perceptual abilities, sensory development and their ability to complete gross motor skills.
Early intervention is key to helping your child develop and attain new gross motor skills typical for their age range. Ideally, a child should start physiotherapy as soon as possible once a delay is identified. Our Physiotherapists will complete a standardized assessment based on your concerns and create an individualized treatment plan with home programming suggestions in order to get your child moving!
A treatment session at Butterfly may include some of the following:
- Parent Education
- Positioning for sleep, play and handling
- Facilitation – handling techniques to promote skill achievement
- Postural retraining
- Balance activities
- Stretching exercises
- Strengthening program
- Gross motor skills practice like running and jumping
- Motor Planning – teaching your child how to break down complex tasks into smaller parts to make them more achievable
- Coordination skills like throwing or catching a ball
We understand a delay in your child’s gross motor skills can be concerning for you as a parent. This is especially true if your child starts falling behind their peers. Butterfly Physiotherapists are trained to identify delays in development and help your child overcome these delays to learn and master new gross motor skills.
To book an assessment or for more information on Gross Motor and Developmental Milestones, please email email@example.com or call us at 905-206-0300.